Sunday, November 16, 2008

Australian Idol 2008 Masculinity Crushes

This is a masculinity cum performance review of Australian Idol 2008. It really gives me a smile to watch my three favorite contestants.

Luke Dickens, the shearer, wasn't really my favorite in terms of looks. His voice and style of singing is very unique to him that is for sure. He would not make it to the top three if he is not that really good. What I really don't like about his looks was his funny looking beard. Now guys, my preferences are showing up. When his wife (yes, he is married) told everybody on national television that his beard has to go off, he obeyed and last Sunday he looked very fantastic. As you can see in his picture above, he looks handsome - nice smile, clean looking and most importantly - he does not have an empty eyes. I am glad he took it off.

I really like his version of With Arms Wide Open last Sunday. He looked like Justin Chambers of Grey's Anatomy. I hope ends up in the Final 2.






Teale Jekubenko is another favorite of mine. This humble blokey bloke has been voted always in the bottom three. And with the changes of the voting system, he performed more than anyone else on stage through out the whole competition. He was booted out unfortunately last Monday but if my memory serves me right, Chris Isaak will invite the one who will be left off on that night for his Australian tour. So I hope he keeps his promise.



Other than that this bloke reminds me of myself (well not the singing and looks part) more particularly that bit about his relationship with his Dad. My Dad rarely say "I Love you" to his sons and so is Teal's. (Well I hope what I heard and what I am writing is accurate. ) During early elimination rounds, his Dad said those three words. Touching.


I like the masculinity of this bloke, great smile and more importantly his eyes are not empty. His eyes shows that he is deep, sensitive and caring. I hope my analysis is true.

And now, on to my number 1 favorite:

Mark Spano. This Melbourne Aussie Italian bloke has the Spano effect amongst his fans. This at least is my analysis. He comes to me as a masculine sensual bad boy but good mannered bloke. His scars in his head did not stop him from being liked by women and myself as well. He had ups and downs in his performances, but I believe he has a promising future. His story about his two year absence in singing is inspiring. It shows that God has a real purpose for us to understand that our downs teaches us to move up to higher planes in our life's journey. And oh! Mark's eyes are not empty at all!


The motown episode was my favorite ones, where Mark rendered "You keep me hanging" was his triumphant moment in my honest opinion. He looked cute, not too bady boy looking and he showed pleasant energy in his performance.




I would have to exclude Wes, the favorite contestant in this season of Australian Idol. I don't have the thing for long hair. Besides, my review was more of the Masculinity factor. Wes wasn't booted off but he was in the bottom two for the first time last Monday night. I think his over confidence resulted into this. I reckon his last performance wasn't that really appealing.

You noticed that I not only evaluated these guys based on masculinity and looks but also if their eyes are empty or not. This is important for me in a guy because behind the good looks what is far more important is the soul behind those eyes.


I am not wishing to date these straight guys. I am praying I would be meeting the likes of them.

No comments: