Sunday, November 2, 2008

Saturday Night Fever - My Gay Bar Adventure

It is interesting how I have different experiences whenever I decide to go out gay bar/pub-hopping. In the past 7 years, I have spent most of the time in Australia & New Zealand & a few occassions in the United States. And, I have only pleasant memories in bars & night clubs in the United States.


Going to gay bars and night clubs is not a usual weekend routine for me. I learned to go to these places only here in Australia. This is when I decided to slowly come out in the open and expose myself "what is out there". Well last night I decided to go to Melbourne's gay spots.


I went first to the Opium Den, where it is known for Asian gays hanging out. I did not stay more than 5 minutes. Oddly enough, there weren't that much people inside and most of the people there were Lesbians. I would have thought that it will be busy because it is the Melbourne Cup long weekend. I decided to go The Peel Hotel. (No, it is not the hotel that you are thinking. These common in Australia where old hotels are turned into pubs or night clubs. The owners retain the name of the the hotel.).


When I got in, I have seen the usual Australian gay pub/bar scene - very loud music, gay bar tenders who never seem to cut the habit of raising their eyebrows, & of course the gay men and lesbians. There is not much of an eye candy last night and saw only a few guys that I really like looking at (masculine caucasian men). The night is not complete without an mature gay man approaching me and sure enough someone did. LOL! (I may have to write about them in my next blog. I have nothing against them honestly but lately I made a conscious choice to look for men around my age.). It seems like I am not invisible to these mature men. .


The asian gay men mostly flock together and seldom see Gay White Men hanging out with them except only when I see a silver haired man tailing them. I just smiled. My purpose in going there was not to get laid; but I was hoping I would be able to meet someone special there to talk or ask later for a date (wishful thinking). Unfortunately I did not meet anyone. I guess I am too shy to approach someone or it is really hard going alone to a gay pub. My experience in New Zealand is pretty much the same.


It is not really fun going to a pub regardless whether I am alone or be with a friend. It is loud & noisy and probably the only only thing that gay men would like to do in a pub second to dancing is to get laid.



My United States gay bar experiences were uniquely different and I could not emphasize it more - pleasant. I always see bars with African Americans, Latinos, Asians and Caucasian Americans all interacting with each other.


The GYM Sports Bar in Manhattan is so far the nicest one that I went to in the United States. The concept of the bar being sports bar is very cool. There are different sorts of gay men who go there but mostly are masculine types. I have seen 1 or 2 women who probably be the partners of the straight bar tenders there. Yes, that is right. The owners hire straight bar tenders. So you dont get to see eyebrow raising and you would be motivated to tip. Did I mention they serve customers without their shirts on?


I was just in Manhattan last month! I hanged around the Locker Room Bar downstairs and sat at the bar looking at the cute bar tender. Also, a friendly looking guy who looks like Hugh Grant intiated a conversation with me and it was great. He was acting like the funny Hugh Grant though. LOL! Another bloke from Maine approached me and tried to convince me to take him to my hotel room. LOL. I declined. (He was on a rebound having recently breaking up with his now ex-partner. ) It did not matter to me whether I brought someone back to my hotel or not. Overall, I enjoyed my time.


It is a bit ironic that I chose Australia because it is a nice place to live in compared to the United States. It is that gay thing bit that I am having trouble making it work. I don't totally blame the gay men here or the Aussies in generally. Come to think of it - there is something in me that needs changing. I'll figure it out - I know I will.

No comments: